Campus Notes

Hip Hop Congress to gather, inspire youth to be active

The Hip Hop Congress is calling all emcees, disc jockeys, breakers, graf writers and freedom fighters to the University's Hip Hop Congress chapter meeting today in the Michigan Union at 8 p.m.

The Hip Hop Congress is a national organization which aims to inspire young people to get involved in social action, civic service and cultural creativity through the positive attributes of hip hop music.

Lecture to show challenges facing science museums

Robert West, principal of Informal Learning Experiences, Inc. and co-publisher of the Informal Learning Review and the Traveling Exhibitions Database, will give a lecture on the future of Science Museums in the Exhibit Museum of Natural History today at 7:30 p.m.

West will discuss the challenges facing science museums in the 21st century and how some museums are meeting those challenges.

The lecture will show specific examples of how the science museum business is changing, adapting and evolving. The event is co-sponsored by the Exhibit Museum of Natural History and the Museum Studies Program.

Lack of women in IT field addressed in studies, speech

University Research Scientist Pamela Davis-Kean will giving a lecture titled "Women, Minorities, and Information Technology: Results from Three Longitudinal Studies," in 2239 Lane Hall, tomorrow at noon. She will discuss why women and minorities are underrepresented in the IT labor force. The event is sponsored by the Institute for the Research on Women and Gender.

Man's ability to understand laws of nature questioned

The fundamental laws of nature will be discussed by physics Prof. Gordon Kane in 340 West Hall tomorrow at 4:10 p.m. Kane will seek to answer the question "Can We Learn the Ultimate Laws of Nature?"

Kane will focus on supersymmetric particles, a field that will help particle physicists explain the fundamental laws that occur in nature. Kane will also summarize where physicists are today in learning the basic laws and how our knowledge can be organized into effective theories.

Racial identity topic of public health discussion

Prof. Cleopatra Caldwell will be speaking on "Racial Identity as a Risk or Protective Factor" in School of Public Health I tomorrow at noon.

The seminar is sponsored by the Center for Research on Ethnicity.

"Standing Room" talent show offers cultural diversity

A multicultural talent show, "Standing Room Only" featuring music, dancing and art from University's student groups will be performed tomorrow in the Mendelssohn Theatre at 8 p.m.

Acts include Amazin' Blue, Rhythm, Impact, the Bhangra team, Hanna and the No Name. Tickets can be purchased in the Michigan Union Ticket Office for $6.

Biotech challenges to be discussed by Nobel Prize winner

Nobel Prize winner David Baltimore will give a lecture on "Biotechnology: New Capabilities, New Challenges" in the Rackham Auditorium Thursday at 4 p.m.

Baltimore, who will discuss the life sciences and its values, won the 1975 Nobel Prize for his work in virology and currently is president of the California Institute of Technology. The lecture is sponsored by the Life Sciences, Values and Society Program.

Black history event showcases local artists' work

"Expressions of the African Diaspora," a reception to celebrate Black History Month, will be held Thursday on the 4th and 5th floors of Haven Hall at 6:30 p.m. The work of local and campus artists will be showcased.

- Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Carmen Johnson.